With the coming of Fall and Winter, my mind begins to turn to comfort foods. You know the kinds of food that make you warm and content. One of my favorite comfort foods is Shepherd’s Pie.
Here in the United States, all dishes that are covered with a mashed potato crust tend to be called Shepherd’s Pie, but back home in Britain Shepherd’s Pie is made with Lamb. The recipe that I show in my video is made of beef so in Britain that would be a ‘Cottage Pie.’ You can also make these types of pies with a wide variety of fillings, fish, turkey or chicken and for vegetarians meat substitutes such as soy or quorn.
For my recipe I used:
1 pound of Beef Mince 80/20 ( 80percent Beef 20 percent Fat)
1 Large White (Spanish) Onion
Pack of Frozen Mixed Peas and Carrots ( You may substitute your favorite vegetables)
1 Large packet of Dried Mashed Potato ( You may make your own mashed potatoes if you like)
Salt, Pepper, 1 Teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce, Dried Garlic powder (Seasonings to your taste)
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil to add to pan when cooking the onion.
You can find the method by following my video below
- Pre-Heat oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit or Gas Mark 4.
- Clean and chop onion
- cook onion over medium heat until soft.
- Add meat to onion and mix, season and cook through gently.
- Prepare mashed potato topping
- Check meat and onion mixture for salt, seasoning, add more if required.
- Put meat and onion mixture in casserole
- Add vegetable layer
- Add mashed potato topping. Scrape with back of dining fork if a crispy crust is required. The tines of the fork leave a ridge and furrow effect on the top of the potato.
- Put pie in oven for about 20 minutes or until topping is browned a little and all layers are heated through.
- Serve with either cooked vegetables, on its own or with a favorite side salad.
T-Shirt Worn in Video
If you enjoyed this post please share it with your friends.